Friday, February 11, 2011

Thing 18

Even though my kids are grown up, I do have a niece who just turned 8. I am not sure if my sister is aware of the different social networks that she could belong to (with Mom's approval), but I will send her the information. Some of them had some good aspects and all seem to take the security issues very seriously, but there is only so much that can be done. I am sure these sites are not completely safe and that people with bad intent may be able to get in. However, no matter how much society is turning toward online social networks, children/adolescents/teens still need social (face to face) skills. I heard just this week about a study that looked at the declining social skills many children have and linked it to their poor academic performances.
LinkedIn has some good information about different companies and looks like a great source for looking for a new job and/or networking.
The staff training sessions at Webjunction  look much the same as what is offered through TBLC and the city training classes. However the Patron training materials might be something we could use/build on.
While reading information about eReaders I found a section on how some of these devices can be used by the visually impaired without extra cost, just "out of the box". I also read about an iPhone app called Digit-eyes, that uses the iPhone camera to read item labels (like in a grocery store) out loud to the user . I suppose they could also use it to scan the Large Print and Audio sections in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment